Happy holidays from the staff at Tauriko School
Dear Parents and Caregivers, over the holiday break there may be opportunity to practice writing skills to keep these in mind for our students. Our school target this year is in writing... and our PTA Spell-a-thon is supporting this also.
How can you help to encourage your young writers?
• Model writing yourself – show them how cool and useful writing is.
• Practice spell-a-thon words for the Term 2 test
• Out shopping? Choose some neat new tools of the trade – notebooks, journals, coloured pens and pencils...
• Keep a diary or journal – write down something interesting, amazing or fascinating each day.
• Celebrate words – look for interesting words in books, songs, signs, number plates.
• Spread the word – communicate with others – write notes, send postcards, email.
• Make lists, - shopping lists, Must Dos/Can Do lists, “things we need for the trip” lists.
• Write emails, letters and postcards.
• Brainstorm your ideas and holiday plans, create a “Holiday Wishlist” with the family.
• Write captions for photos for family events and celebrations.
• Create your own recipes, plan a menu, invite someone to tea.
• Respond to current events by posting comments on the Kiwi Kids News blog.
• Play with words – make up nonsense rhyming words like Dr Seuss did.
• Play word games like Scrabble and Boggle
• Challenge the family to a poetry competition …
Make it your goal to read for at least 10 minutes every day!Happy holidays from all of us at Tauriko School.